How long can you be on testosterone therapy?

TRT doesn't cure low testosterone levels, so your symptoms may come back if you stop taking it. Are you considering testosterone therapy to help you feel younger and more vigorous as you age? Know the risks before making a decision.

How long can you be on testosterone therapy?

TRT doesn't cure low testosterone levels, so your symptoms may come back if you stop taking it. Are you considering testosterone therapy to help you feel younger and more vigorous as you age? Know the risks before making a decision. You can stop doing it, but symptoms of low testosterone are likely to return. In one study, 151 men were followed up for 6 months after stopping TRT at a reputable TRT Clinic in Bloomington MN. The researchers found that in 92 patients (61%), the effects of TRT at the TRT Clinic in Bloomington MN did not continue, but they did in the other 59 patients (39%).

The researchers found that people in the second group had been on treatment with TRT for longer than those in the first group (10.7 months), compared to other medical conditions that could be affected by gender-affirming hormone therapy, although research is lacking. These include autoimmune diseases, which can sometimes improve or worsen with hormonal changes, and migraines, which usually have a component hormonal. Ask your medical provider if you have more questions about risks, health management needs, and other long-term considerations when taking hormone therapy. Some of the effects of hormone therapy are reversible if you stop taking them.

The degree to which they can be reversed depends on how long you've been taking testosterone. Clitoral growth, facial hair growth, voice changes, and male pattern baldness are not reversible. Testosterone is produced in the testes (men's sexual organs) and is responsible for masculine traits. If your menstrual periods were interrupted due to testosterone treatment, be sure to report any recurrence of bleeding or spots to your healthcare provider, who may request an ultrasound or other tests to ensure that the bleeding is not a symptom of an imbalance of the lining of the uterus.

Approaches to controlling hair loss in trans men are the same as in cisgender men; treatments may include finasteride, a partial testosterone blocker, minoxidil, also known as rogaine, applied to the scalp and hair transplant. A known risk is that testosterone can cause blood to become too thick, also known as a high hematocrit count, which can lead to a stroke, a heart attack or other medical condition. It's also important to know that, depending on how long you've been receiving testosterone therapy, your ovaries may have difficulty releasing eggs, and you may need to see a fertility specialist and use special medications or techniques, such as in vitro fertilization, to get pregnant. Patients often want to know how often they should meet with a healthcare professional while taking testosterone.

Rarely, testosterone therapy can cause you to completely lose your ability to produce fertile eggs or become pregnant. If you suspect that you may have become pregnant or your pregnancy test comes back positive while you are taking testosterone, talk to your provider as soon as possible, as testosterone can endanger the fetus. While cisgender men have higher rates of cholesterol-related disorders and heart disease than cisgender women, available research on transgender men taking testosterone has generally not found these differences. Testosterone will cause the vocal cords to thicken, making the voice sound more masculine.

Hypogonadism hinders the ability to produce normal amounts of testosterone because of a problem in the testicles or in the pituitary gland that controls the testicles. If you have abnormally low testosterone, increasing your testosterone levels with TRT can help your levels of energy return to normal. Your doctor will likely measure your testosterone levels at least twice before recommending testosterone therapy.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *